COURSE DESCRIPTION This is intensive course providing MBA's an overview of the key concepts of Marketing principles and practice. In an increasingly competitive environment the ability to target and satisfy distinct sections of the consumer base is of critical importance. An understanding of the theories and principles of marketing is a necessary, but not sufficient requirement of the practicing MBA. Of equal importance is the ability to apply this knowledge in an appropriate manner to help make practical business decisions that aid in the successful commercialization of new and existing ideas, products and services. Discussions and practical applications will emphasize the following key marketing concepts: Marketing planning, environmental audits, competitive analysis, segmentation, targeting and positioning, setting marketing strategies, strategic pricing, channels of distribution and supply chain management, relationship marketing, marketing communications and evaluation and control systems. Students will develop an appreciation of the strategic marketing concepts via real world marketing situations, texts, relevant reading materials, classroom discussion, case analyses, homework assignments, pro-bono consultancy projects for local organizations as well as research papers and contemporary case studies.
COURSE OBJECTIVES For successful completion of the course, the student must meet the following objectives:
- Be able to apply knowledge in the form of a written marketing plan for an organization.
- Develop and maintain a working knowledge of strategic marketing jargon.
- Demonstrate a knowledge of practical strategic marketing problems/solutions via case analyses, homework assignments, and class discussions.
- Be able to apply marketing tools including segmentation, targeting and positioning.
- Understand the role of marketing strategy in the successful operations of an organization.
- 2 Research papers on one of several contemporary marketing practices.
- 1 pro bono consultancy project for a local organization that needs assistance with its current marketing strategy.
- 1 comprehensive assignment that examines your ability to market yourself.
- Weekly study aids distributed in class.
- Focus on experiential, application based learning.
- Comprehensive personalized feedback on performance.
- Lecturettes and seminar based project work.
- Focus on group presentations.
- A fun, motivational and engaging environment.
Buy your course text here: